Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Christmas Ornament - Ball of Greeting Cards

I remember doing this as a kid. I always save the fronts of my cards to use for scrapbooking or other projects. My mother saved previous year's Christmas cards for these ornaments.

First gather 8 cards with a similar theme or color scheme. These all have a hunting and fishing theme. Grab a kitchen container lid. The size of the lid will determine whether your ball is large or small.

Use the lid as a guide to draw a circle around the object in the card you want.

Now, you will cut out each of these circles and you will fold them up on three sides. A flat triangle will be in the middle. To do this, I folded up two sides to meet at the top of the picture. Then I creased them individually, then I folded up the bottom to meet the points of the two sides I already creased. (There is one I outlined with sharpie so you can see how it is folded.) I am sure you could make a pattern for this to make it neater and will fit exactly, but I was lazy.

Then you will glue each one to the other. Four will make the top and four will make the bottom. Don't forget to glue in a loop of ribbon on the top one for which to hang it.

Then glue the top to the bottom. I then took clothespins to hold all the edges together until the glue dried.

And here is the ornament.

No comments: