Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Homemade Heavy Duty Cleaner

I ran out of CLR for the bath tub and looked around for a heavy-duty homemade cleaner. This lady turned me onto it when she got a free sample of CLR and said it didn't work any better than her homemade stuff. Here's what worked well to get the month of soap scum off my tub.

In spray bottle, mix

1/4 cup vinegar
1 T borax
1 squirt dish soap
Fill with water

Now, for really caked on stuff that needed a scouring agent, I sprayed with the spray and took my parmesan shaker of baking soda and sprinkled it on.

Worked just as well as the CLR has in the past, which was the only thing that worked on our tub and surround considering the manufacturer's limiting the use of anything really strong and the CLR actually changed the metal coloration of the drain which would then slowly return to its original color, that, I have to admit, kind of weirded me out. But now, I have a homemade cleaner and it only costs me pennies.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i use this recipe (slightly modified) as a regular all purpose cleaner. instead of the 1/4c. of vinegar, i use 3 tbsp. of vinegar, and about 5-10 drops of essential oil (to counteract the vinegar smell). i use it to clean the kitchen countertops, the bathroom, anything really. it works wonders, and the baking soda added really works great to scrub off the crusties. :)
i will have to try this for my tub. with a husband and two little dirty boys, the bathtub gets used alot, and it's quite dirty now. i usually just use baking soda and vinegar on it, but it's alot of scrubbing. thanks for the idea.
casey

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

That's great! I have a parmesan shaker of citric acid (good for rust stains)! :) I think we're twins.

Together We Save said...

Sounds like a good cheap alternative. I think I will try adding essential oil for the smell though.

Unknown said...

i find that baking soda and water gets off soap scum or for the tough stuff an unused dryer sheet

Nicole Bradica said...

I also sub. lemon juice for the vinegar. That vinegar smell can be strong!

Laura said...

Thanks for this awesome idea. My tiles are sparkling!

heath said...

I just tried this on my grimy stove and it was pretty good. Just curious… if you'll look at this from a six year old post… if you recall the approx. volume of your spray bottle. I have a tiny one and a fairly large one, so I filled the large one halfway with H2O. Would love to know your mesa. for the water. Thanks.

Melissa Jagears said...

Heath, I use a large sprayer, but only fill to 2/3rds full. I haven't used it in awhile since my hubby's taken over cleaning the bathrooms with me being pregnant and now attached to a baby, but I'd start there and adjust, your type of water might affect things? I used baking soda even without it being heavy grime most of the time.

Ali said...

I know of a great homemade cleaner for counters, stoves, etc. I make this stuff on a regular basis and keep it stored in my refrigerator...it's weird, I know, but seriously in the bottom of my fridge door sits a bottle of this stuff. I buy white vinegar and CHEAP generic lemon juice (at my grocery store this stuff is like $1 a bottle). In a spray bottle, pour 1/4 water, 1/2 white vinegar and 1/4 lemon juice :) Cuts grease and grime like crazy!

Melissa Jagears said...

Thank you for the tip, Ali!