Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Junk Mail Envelope Shopping List System

Save the return envelopes in junk mail.

Write your list for the grocery store on the back. (I have a permanent pantry list written in the order of the aisles of the store I most often frequent that I use as a guide, so that I write them down in about the order I need to get them to help me get out of there as quickly as possible without numerous trips back and forth and forgotten items.)

Star the items you have coupons for or for price matching to remind you at the checkout line that you need to give these special attention. If price matching, next to the shopping list item, I write the abbreviated store flyer name, page number and advertised price. When looking at the shelf price, I can easily see if it is worth doing price match just from my list and the store name and page number helps me find it quickly at the checkout. I always circle the item in the flyer with a Sharpie so I can see it really quickly. I always put these items in one section of the cart and unload them first and get it over with.


Store the coupons you plan to use in envelope.

9 comments:

Breathing In Grace said...

This is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time...love the idea of recycling..and having your coupons right at hand!!!

Bloggers said...

I Love this. I love the idea of having a place to put my coupons in. Thank you !

dani' said...

Then if you're feeling cheeky, on your way out of the store you can drop it in the mailbox and confuse the heck out of the company that sent you the junk mail in the first place. Since those envelopes are postage paid, it won't cost you a thing!

Barb said...

My mom used to use envelopes for that! I had forgotten about it. I love your blog! I nominated you for the Kreative Blogger award on my blog. http://cleaninguptheclutter.blogspot.com/

Resweater said...

I nominated you for the Kreative Blogger Award on my blog too!
http://resweater.blogspot.com

Together We Save said...

I do this too. Having my coupons pulled out and in order makes it so much easier at the store. I still carry my binder for items I might see at a really great price but I love the envelope with the list on it.

Sewing-Chick said...

I do this too, and actually I blogged about it last month here. Great minds think alike, eh?

Marie @ Myculinarycalling said...

I have a friend that was telling me that she saves her junk mail return envelopes that have prepaid postage. Then when she needs an envelope she re-addresses it and sends it without ever having to pay for a stamp!

Melissa Jagears said...

I'm betting there is a legal problem with reusing the envelope for your own personal use.