Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Make Your Own Taco Bell Baja Sauce

When I am pregnant, I crave Taco Bell Baja Chalupas. That sauce just always calls to me during those times for some reason.

So this last time, I was determined in those early craving days not to single-handedly support Taco Bell's operation especially since eating out is not frugal. So I made my own Baja sauce, I looked the idea up online and then worked at a version I didn't have to buy fresh produce for, I think it turned out well. (My hubby finds it especially good on turkey sandwiches.)

I forgot until just now that I have to make up some more that I didn't post it.

Baja Sauce:

1 cup mayonnaise
1 T vinegar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp onion flakes
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cumin

Mix together and chill in fridge for several hours before use to let the flavors penetrate.

(I think I might actually try sour cream here instead of mayo, but it wouldn't be as long keeping in the fridge if I did it this way. So only if I am going to use it in large quantities quickly would I try it. I like that the mayo version though since it lasts as long as mayo.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you could multiply the amounts of the spices and make a spice mix. Then just add it to the mayo or sour cream when you need some. It also sounds like it would be good just sprinkled on various dishes. Thanks

Donna said...

I love Taco Bell sauce! Thanks for the recipe!!