Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Homemade Pizza Dough

Obviously paying for Pizza delivered is an expensive frugal no-no. When in the time it takes the delivery man to get it to you, you can make one yourself.

Ever since I was little, Mom and I would make the dough from a prepackaged envelope. If it's in a convenience package it makes you think that it has to be too long and cumbersome to make. Well, I tried making it from scratch several months back and amazingly, it takes very little more time to make it homemade. Won't be doing that anymore!

Just a simple Betty Crocker Recipe:

1 package (2 1/4 tsp) dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees, check with candy thermometer or just wing it)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 T oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, beat with mixing spoon 20 strokes. Let it reast 5 minutes before shaping.

Smear on some canned spaghetti sauce, sprinkle with garlic powder, minced onions, oregano, whatever else suits your fancy, topped with what you have around the house and cover with shredded cheese.

425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love to make homemade pizza! Have you tried buying yeast in bulk? It costs about the same for a half pound bag of yeast as it does for a couple of packets. I get mine at Cash & Carry or Costco.

Stephanie said...

I'm going to try your recipe. I have one that's very similar, except with slightly more of each ingredient. The crust is always too thick for our tastes, but I think with these reduced amounts it should come out just about right! Thanks. :-)

Cindy Loven said...

I use the food processor recipe in the Tightwad Gazette books, and it is super simple and takes NO time at all...and a great pizza crust..