Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Reupholster Your Lamp Shade Take 2

My last reupholstered lamp shade I did years ago because it was ugly.

Well, I now had to do one this week because my lamp shade broke off. It had absolutely nothing to do with my moving a king size mattress by myself and knocking the large art frame picture off the wall on top of it, nope!

This is what I had to work with.


So I went through the fabric stash and found something suitable, I didn't have a big enough piece to cover it with one piece, so I decided to make 4 same size panels. I draped it on to make sure I would be ok with the effect.


I measured the circumference of the lamp wire which was 38" and made 4 10" inch panels. Then I pinned them to each other to sew up. After taking this picture, I realized I needed to iron these panels first (like I should always do, but don't) since there would be no way to iron it once it was a lamp shade.


To make my 10" panels fit, I had to have a seam of 1/2" on all the panels, so I used a pencil and ruler to mark my seam since there really would be no way to fix or readjust since I have no more of this fabric and can't just wing it like I normally do.


I sewed each panel to each other. Before sewing the first panel to the last panel, I cut the seams down fairly small to keep them from hampering the light output.


Also, before sewing the last panel to the first, I hemmed the bottom making those seams lay flat and cut the excess as well.


Then I sewed the front to the back, trimmed that seam and put it on my lamp shade wire circle. I made sure to match my pattern which gave me a visual guide to line up the shade onto the wire circle, but if I didn't have a pattern, I would need to have drawn a line to help me line it up evenly on my lamp shade.


Then I took a hot glue gun and laid a bead of hot glue on the wire itself and folded the fabric over the hot glue.


After it was set, I cut the excess fabric from around the top.

And I am finished. May not be as pretty as the last one nor professional looking, but I think it works just fine.

No comments: