Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cereal Liner Dehydrator Sheets

My dehydrator came with one plastic sheet to make fruit roll-ups etc. But I wanted to make my own cereal, and I ran across the information that you can make your own granola cereal in the dehydrator, but you need plastic sheets and one would not be enough! So, I didn't want to spend money to special order more, so I had to find something to make do with.

Cereal Bag Liners! Take a cereal bag liner and rip open the seams and get your dehydrator rack or the plastic liner that came with it for a pattern.


Then take a marker like a sharpie and trace the pattern onto the liner. Cut it out; make sure you cut off the ink of the marker.


Then lay the liner on your dehydrator rack and fill with food. I have used this twice for making very yummy granola cereal (tomorrow's post is the recipe; don't fret!) and they have worked well. They are obviously flimsier than the other and will curl up, so you just have to uncurl the curls to put the cereal on the top. I have yet to make fruit roll ups, so I am unsure if they would work for that, but they work for this and you just wipe them clean in the dish water and hang them over other dishes to dry and reuse.

6 comments:

Bloggers said...

That is an awesome idea. I might have to get my dehydrator back out. My 15 year old son has been making his own jerky in the oven for a while now. But I have been wanting to use my dehydrator for other stuff.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this idea!!! We were just trying to decide if it's worth it to buy more trays or not. Now I don't have to!

Unknown said...

we have the same dehydrator. I wish I could have seen this a few years ago before I invested in half a dozen liners. Oh well, I'm about to replace this old dehydrator for a newer one with a fan hopefully.

Melissa Jagears said...

Melody, I hope you do love your new one. I have to replace the cereal liner ones every now and then, but then, they're just trash, so it doesn't bum me out. :)

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea! I'll be interested in seeing how well they work for fruit leather since that's the most common use for my dehydrator.

Julie Bagamary said...

Thanks for this great idea.