Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Make Your Own Granola Cereal

So, I am trying to figure out ways to not spend $3.12 cents on a box of cold cereal (which I love) that only lasts about 2 days in our house, so I looked up making your own granola cereal. I found several that went in the dehydrator and decided I would give making my own a try. Some recipes had raisins, some cherries, butter, no butter, etc. This is what I thought would make a tasty cereal for me and it sure did! (You can also do this in the oven, but smaller appliances take less electricity, so I chose the dehydrator.)

(Now it would be much cheaper if I forgot the almonds - It costs about $7.50 worth of ingredients and it will last almost the whole week for both me and spouse, $2.50 cents of which is nuts. So it would only cost $5 if I forwent the nuts bought at the store. We go through about 4 boxes of the other cereal costing $12.48. So perhaps this isn't the big saver that I thought it would be, but once my almond tree starts producing then it might be! I am absolutely positive this is cheaper than store bought granola, have you ever bought a small box of granola cereal for, oh, $4 and found out that 3/4 of that box was just air!!!)

Dehydrated Granola Cereal

5 cups instant oats
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 dried apples chopped
1 T vanilla
1/2 cup chopped dates
1 T cinnamon
1 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup butter melted
1/2 cup wheat germ

Mix ingredients together. Place in a dehydrator on plastic sheeting (Here's my homemade plastic sheeting) in a thin layer.

Dehydrate for about 3-5 hours or until crunchy. Save in airtight container.


It is a little messy getting it off the dehydrator into the container. I have just used a spoon to scoop off the majority and move the rest to the edge of the plastic sheeting which I pick up and dump into the container.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it! I have been searching for the past month for a good looking dehydrated granola recipe!

Thanks so much!

jessica kiehn said...

if you don't have a dehydrator, how long/how hot would you bake this in the oven?

jessicaikiehn at yahoo dot com

Melissa Jagears said...

I tried it in the oven once, but you can't be distracted by children doing so--I burnt it. You might try googling Baked Granola.