Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Homemade Peeps or Homemade Marshmallows

Easter is around the corner, so I had to go check out the candy aisle to look at the Peeps. Not that I planned to buy any until after Easter when I stock up on the 50% off sale, but I am obsessed, had to look. And oh my! Those things have gone up in price and down in volume. They basically shrunk the amount by half and doubled the price. Not that I should be too surprised since that is what is happening to most of my groceries, but these are my one bad splurge a year. So, grumpily, I continued shopping knowing I couldn't possibly justify buying those bad-for-me-things anymore.

Then, I got the idea that I should make them, duh! Took me awhile to find a recipe and not just a comment about how to make them. Actually, I worked off of 3 pieces of info from the net, most saying they used the Martha Stewart's recipe as a base. (Mainly this one)

It's only water, sugar and gelatin. Now I knew I couldn't spend that much on cheap ingredients anymore! There was no turning back.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1/3 cup water
1 package gelatin (2.5 tsp)

1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 T vanilla (1/2 or less T homemade vanilla)

Sugar
Food Coloring

Directions
First take the package of gelatin and let it sit 5+ minutes in the 1/3 cup water til "soft." Whatever that means? It takes plenty enough time for the next step I am sure it was soft when I got to it.

Then while waiting on that to soften. Take the 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar and stir on medium high heat until sugar is dissolved. Then wait til syrup gets to boiling and hits 240 degrees with a candy thermometer.


Pour hot syrup into gelatin mixture and Mix on low for awhile to let it cool down some. (5 min)

Then add vanilla. I put in my homemade vanilla it was heavenly, but way too powerful! Next time, I will decrease it by half. Then increase mixer speed to medium high and mix for 10+ minutes until mixture forms soft peaks (peaks droop after being made).

Meanwhile make your sugar. I took a cereal liner, placed it on a baking sheet and sifted powdered sugar (so I wouldn't waste my blue) all over it for the marshmallow to set on. I made blue sugar by stirring in a drop of food coloring into a bowl of sugar. Next time I will just sift on more powdered sugar, but I was going for real Peeps look.

Then as soon as your mixture hits soft peak stage get ready! I tried to pipe a chicken peep with a sandwich bag with a hole in it. Well you can see how that went!

But you have to go fast! I played with my chicken peep too long and the marshmallow was already setting up so I just tried to smear it out, looks like a glop. Then I sprinkled on my blue sugar.


I did take the glop and cut it with cookie cutters. Here are my badly formed Peeps! Next time I will just spread it out and cut it into squares.


They are really good and now I know what non-stale Peeps taste like - highly addictive! (As if I weren't addicted already) Bad thing about this is that I will now have the temptation to gorge myself on these things year round! But thankfully they take a bit of time to make so that might curb making it constantly. But these are great marshmallows, I think I need to get just one more from the container now that I am thinking about it! :)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

What a great tip and recipe! I'm not a peep fan, but my sister loves them (so do my kids). Thanks so much for this recipe.

~Andrea