Follow Me on Pinterest
Instead of posting links to Making Do Ideas on this blog now (I'll just post my own projects here though they are few and far between now), I'm now posting them on my Pinterest Board named Making Do Stuff.
You do not have to have a Pinterest account to see it.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Wool Sweater Mittens

We had 3 inches of snow a few days ago and the hubby told me on the way out to work that I needed to take the kiddo out to play in the snow. Why does he tell me this? Because in winter I hibernate and hardly leave the house when the kiddo loves outside. So, I bundle ourselves up. I had lousy driving gloves and she had socks on her hands. This just didn't cut it. So first order of business was to make me some wool mittens.

I sorted through my stash of shrunken sweaters for some that still had the sleeves.
I placed my hand on the sleeve leaving quite a long length of sleeve past my wrist, I hate it when snow gets up into my glove because I can't tuck it into my sleeve.

I then cut out a mitten "pattern" with quite a bit of seam allowance.

Then I turned them inside out.

Then I sewed them up!

I evened up the seam extra (is there a technical term for that?) so it wouldn't annoy me.

I am sorry I don't have an after shot, but I went outside to grab snow with them and left my flash on, so flash plus snow meant absurdly white picture. Anyway, I squeezed snow in my hand for 45 seconds and while I did register cold, I just brushed the snow off. There were a few water droplets on it, but very good hold up, and as hubby always says, "Wool is the only material that retains its insulating properties when wet." Anyway, looks like they'll do for snow fort building and took me less than 5 minutes to make.

Now I am off to make some for the toddler with a cord so they don't get lost.

1 comment:

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Great job! I also avoid going outside with my sons in the cold!!